How to create effective on-package promotions
Elaborate marketing campaigns certainly have their place in business, but there is no easier way to reach your audience with a promotion or announcement than by putting it directly on your packaging, thus turning your product into a mobile billboard for your brand.
A frictionless experience
Traditional coupons have been popular for decades, but they can cause a lot of friction for customers who need to cut them out and keep them in their wallet and often forget they have them when completing a purchase.
On-package promotions or IRCs (instant redeemable coupons) eliminate this friction by putting the promotion directly on the product. There are no additional steps to take; simply by buying the product, the customer is able to take advantage of the promotion.
Make the offer clear
You need to make your promotion clearly understood in order to move the needle. Creating a wow factor while still appealing to your customers and conveying the benefits of your product is the recipe for success.
Your customers need to be able to understand:
- What your product is
- What your product does
- What the promotion is offering
- And how it will benefit them
Too many brands get this wrong, and if these questions aren’t easy for the customer to answer in a matter of seconds, they’re going to move on.
Setting yourself apart
It’s necessary to keep an eye on your competitors’ strategies, but leaning on them to guide your brand’s direction is never going to differentiate you from one another. In fact, the opposite should be happening. You should be paying attention to what your competitors are doing so you can strategize on how to do even better.
Take the entire shelf into account
When customers are walking down the aisle, they aren’t just looking at your product or your promotion. They’re seeing a wall of like products and package designs and will in most cases reach for:
- What’s familiar or proven
- What they’ve heard of from a family member or friend
- What stands out as original, authentic, and high-quality
Customers who don’t have a brand in mind when they arrive to the store will often be swayed by a deal, as well. You should find a balance between compelling packaging design and a captivating, clearly communicated offer.
On-package promo ideas
There is a wide range of different promotional methods you can apply to your packaging in order to increase sales or brand loyalty, and it can be as simple as a 10% discount or as complex as a surprise offering that incorporates social media. Here are a few ideas to spark some buzz with your promos:
- Discounts for repeat orders – Offer customers compounding discounts the more they purchase a certain product. This encourages repeat purchases and inspires brand loyalty.
- Free samples – Samples of your product give customers a zero-pressure and zero-cost opportunity to see what it has to offer and increases their likelihood or purchasing in the future.
- Social media offerings – Encourage your customers to share their purchase on social media with a reward or contest entry for doing so. This turns your customers in spokespeople for your brand.
- Loyalty programs – Customers who love your brand and your products will jump at the opportunity to become involved in an exclusive group dedicated to it.
- Surprise offerings – A concealed peel-off label that reveals a surprise promotion or discount creates an exciting experience for your customers and is likely to inspire new customers curious about what they may receive.
Experience true ROI with IRCs from Lofton
Creating and printing on-package promotions is vastly inexpensive when compared to TV, radio, or print campaigns, and is a proven producer of ROI. Lofton offers industry-leading IRC solutions to help you effectively promote your products until they’re flying off the shelves. Contact us today to make your label and packaging visions a reality.